27 ene 2012

Coffee Soap redo


 Remember my very naughty coffee soap that boiled over? The one I videoed? Well it's been curing for about a month now and it is still horrible, it didn't improve with age. It works perfectly and washes dishes like a marvel...but it's not pretty. I'm keeping to use around the house, but certainly not for sale.

Having said that, I got around to redoing it today. I took the precaution of preparing the coffee and letting it sit in water with ice for a while until it was cold, I added the lye and stirred inside the ice water so it wouldn't over heat. That seemed to do the trick. Since I'm hooked on swirls I did this one as a swirl rather than bottom 1/3 dark top 2/3 white with specks. It's getting easier and easier to handle two separate colors vs. one batch that I need to split in the end - specially handy when 2/3 need to have coffee instead of water. And the swirls just keep on getting better and better.

The first few batches I swirled, I started off by doing two passes of figure eights then up and down across the length of the mould. They looked nice but kinda killed the swirl. With this batch I tried the other way around, first up and down the length of the mould then two sets of figure eights and I love it! It looks so much better!

Do you have a favorite method of swirling??

xoxo
Irene

3 comentarios:

Jennifer Young dijo...

I am not a great swirler yet, my spoon swirl (it's not really a swirl... it's more like a fling!) comes out pretty well, but this soap of yours looks wonderful. Can you post cut photos? xo Jen

I-Create dijo...

Beautiful swirls! I must remember to try that one. Like Jen, I've had a go at 'spoon flinging' and got some okay results, however my best effort has been with a spiral swirl in a square mould. The colours merged beautifully and the pattern is amazing. Looking forward to seeing your soap cut! :)

Nines dijo...

What a wonderful soap an amazing swirls. I'd like to invite you to see my soaps at: jabonines.blogspot.com